Best rabbit hutches
Some people grow rabbits for meat, while others like to have them as pets around the house. However, one thing is for sure, and that is if you leave rabbits unattended, your garden will have to suffer. Rabbits are, after all, rodents, which is why they need to be held in a secured enclosure. Personally, I do not like the idea of cages, no matter what animal we are talking about, which is why my recommendation is that you invest in a rabbit hutch.
What is a rabbit hutch?
A rabbit hutch is an enclosed space that is designed to provide shelter for rabbits. Some people use them for chickens as well, although chickens thrive better if they are kept in an open space. Even so, rabbit hutches seem to be very popular among rabbit owners, and while some have the means and skill to build their own enclosure, most people prefer to buy one online or from the store.
The benefits of rabbit hutches over cages
As I mentioned earlier, I prefer a rabbit hutch instead of a cage. There are numerous benefits supported by studies that say hutches are more suitable, and the rabbit will thrive better enclosed as such. Here are the most significant advantages of choosing a rabbit hutch instead of a cage.
- It provides better shelter – rabbit hutches are designed so that the rabbits inside have a roof over their heads, so to speak. That will protect them from the elements better than a cage. During the winter, for example, if you keep your rabbits outdoors, a hutch is more suitable because all you need to do is cover the hutch with a blanket. If you have cages, on the other hand, you need to house the rabbits someplace else altogether because a cage is nothing than wire. Plus, the rabbits are better protected from the sun and rain, which is also good for their health and development.
- It provides a plane surface – inside cages, rabbits step on the floor of the cage, which is never sleek. The wires hurt their feet, and according to a study, rabbits actually prefer a smooth Usually, owners use grass for the floor, but since it does not last long, you can also use cardboard or other flat surfaces on which your rabbits can step freely and comfortably.
- It keeps the rabbits safe from predators – a cage, especially a flimsy one, is no match to a predator. Dogs, for example, are successful in escaping from their own cages, so when they see a fluffy moving thing in a cage, you can be sure that they will take action. That, of course, unless they are used to having rabbits around the house. The most common concern regards foxes. We all know that foxes hunt rabbits in nature as well, which is why if they see them in cages, they are a sitting duck. A cage is not suitable to protect your long-eared friends from foxes, but a rabbit hutch is sure to do so.
- It is usually made of wood – if you care deeply for your animals, even if you plan to grow them for meat, then you care about the materials of which their enclosure is built. Cages are made of metal wire, which is not ideal. Rabbit hutches, on the other hand, are made of wood. They will not bend or break easily, and they are more durable in the long run.
- It is better constructed – a cage, no matter how small it is, will always be wobbly. If something heavy is to fall on it, it will crush it for sure. A hutch, however, will maintain its integrity because it is more durable. As a result, you will own a rabbit hutch for longer than you will a cage. In the long run, that is saving you some cash, even if rabbit hutches are more expensive than cages.
What to consider when buying a rabbit hutch
Now that you learned that rabbit hutches are better than cages, you need to learn how to choose the best rabbit hutch you can find. A random choice is never a good idea, which is why you need to determine some criteria. If you have no idea what that is, you can use mine. You can find them below.
- Size – not all rabbit hutches are created equal, which is why you need to pick a size. Of course, the most significant factor in determining the size you need is the number of rabbits you have or plan on having. Usually, the technical specifications of a particular product will tell you how many rabbits it can house, but you should know that I do not recommend more than 4 rabbits per square meter. After all, they need to move a bit.
- Construction – a rabbit hutch that is poorly constructed is not worth your while. Hutches should, by definition, be durable and long-lasting. That is why you should go for a product that is well built. There is no way of telling that just by looking at it in store or online, but the advantage of buying a rabbit hutch online is that you have access to its reviews. People usually share their experience with a specific product, and rabbit hutches are no different.
- Materials – most rabbit hutches are made of wood, but not all kinds of wood are the best. You should choose one that is well treated against the elements. Durability is also an issue.
- Non-toxic finish – since most rabbit hutches are made of wood, you need to pay attention to the finish. Since animals will be living there 24/7, you need to make sure that the finish (paint or oils) pose no toxic threat to the little furry creatures. That is especially if you grow the animals for meat. Some of the toxins may reach your body.
- Pest-resistant grates – hutches may be made of wood, but they also feature some wire so that the rabbits see the outside world. That wire needs to protect them well against pests and predators. You do not want other rodents to gain access to the hutch, you do not wish your rabbits coming out, and you do not want predators going in either. The wire needs to be resistant.
- Additional features – some models come with all kinds of extra features that I find to be most useful. One of my favorite aspects is the sliding trays. Rabbit hutches need to be cleaned permanently, and a sliding tray will help you do that effortlessly. Another feature that I recommend concerns the compartments. Not all hutches have several compartments, but different spaces for sleeping and feeding are to be advised.
What are the best rabbit hutches?
You should have no trouble in finding the best rabbit hutch for your needs. Just use the criteria above, and you should be able to make the right choice. However, do not buy a random enclosure, and before you find some products that you like, make sure to read some rabbit hutches reviews online to see other people’s opinions. Or, you can just select one of the products that I found online.
Trixie Pet Products Rabbit Hutch with Sloped Roof
The first product I want to show you is made by Trixie Pet Products. It is an excellent choice if you do not have many rabbits. At the same time, you can use this enclosure to keep other small animals as well, depending on what you have around the house. The 2-story wood construction is made of pinewood, and the weatherproof finish makes it incredibly durable in time. Maintenance is also minimal.
Since this rabbit hutch has 2 stories, your rabbits can run freely. They also have a ramp so that they can get from one to story to the other, and the ramp is given a non-slip coating. The interior hatch allows you to restrict access to either story, which comes in handy when you are cleaning the hutch.
This hutch has three access points, two on the upper level and one on the bottom level. The roof can be lifted so that you can have better access and visibility inside. Plus, the rood is sloped so that water slides down. Also, the snow will slip down. The powder-coated metal lattice and lockable hatch will protect your little animals, and the plastic tray ensures ease of cleaning. The hutch weighs 55 pounds, and it measures 41 by 20 by 39 inches.
SmithBuilt Crates Rabbit Hutch
Another product that I think you will like is the one manufactured by SmithBuild Crates. It is an excellent hutch that will keep your rabbits safe and sheltered, even during the winter. It is made of high-quality materials that are weatherproof. The manufacturer used premium fir wood and treated it so that it can resist rain and the other elements. The wires are finished with a very durable epoxy coating so that they are rust and corrosion-proof. The roof is covered with asphalt so that the pets do not supper from water penetration or sun exposure.
The SmithBuild rabbit hutch has separate areas for sleeping and living. There is enough space inside, and since there are two stories, the bunnies can roam freely. The non-slip ramp provides access between levels, and there is a hatch that clocks the said access whenever you need it. The hutch offers multiple access points through the hinged roof, and through the three front doors.
Just like the previous product, this hutch is pest and predator resistant. The wood is solid, and the heavy-duty wire construction will keep your rabbits safe. The rabbit hutch is easy to clean thanks to its sliding pan made from composite ABS plastic. Plus, the doors are placed so that you can clean every corner of the enclosure.
Purlove Pet Rabbit Hutch
Last but not least, if you want to spoil your pet rabbits, then you need to buy them the rabbit hutch from Purlove. It looks more like a rabbit mansion than a cage, and I am sure they will love it. It is incredibly spacious since it measures 62 inches in length, 18 inches in depth, and 36.8 inches in height. The 2-story rabbit hutch provides more than enough space so that your pet can roam freely.
The Purlove rabbit hutch is finished with a non-toxic auburn and white paint. It provides three access points so that you can provide care and maintenance to both rabbits and the enclosure. Plus, the 3 built-in metal sliding trays will make your job of cleaning the enclosure almost effortlessly.
The ramp between the two stories is covered in a non-slip coating, and the wires are durable providing the protection your small animals need. No pests will be able to make their way into the enclosure. The materials the manufacturer used are of the highest quality, and the hutch is weather resistant. Your rabbits will live in it for many years to come.
Although I like all three products that I found online, my personal favorite is the SmithBuilt Crates Rabbit Hutch. It has excellent reviews, it is made of high-quality materials, and it has all the right features for adequately housing a few rabbits. In my opinion, it is one of the best rabbit hutches you can find online.
Rabbits, the same as any other animals you may have around the house, need their own living space. A rabbit hutch can provide a safe place where your long-eared friends can live, eat, and sleep in peace without outside disturbance. No matter which product you go for in the end, I am sure you will be satisfied with your choice. Click here to buy on Amazon
- The 30-Second Trick for Rabbit Run for Sale
- Top Choices of Extra Large Rabbit Hutch
- All About Rabbit Cage Wire
- Large Rabbit Run – the Conspiracy
- Facts, Fiction and 6ft Rabbit Hutch
- Indoor Bunny Cages Explained
- Rabbit Cage Plans Ideas
- Plastic Rabbit Hutch Guide
- Get the Scoop on Rabbit Hutch with Run Before You’re Too Late
- Facts, Fiction and Cheap Rabbit Cages
- Where to Find Pets at Home Rabbit Hutch
- The Chronicles of Large Rabbit Cage
- One of the Most Incredibly Ignored Options for Large Indoor Rabbit Cage
- Indoor Rabbit House Fundamentals Explained
- A Guide to Double Rabbit Hutch
- Life After Rabbit Hutch and Run
- Things You Won’t Like About Outdoor Rabbit Cages and Things You Will
- The Battle Over Rabbit Playpen and How to Win It
- The Upside to Rabbit Enclosures
- Want to Know More About Rabbit Cages for Sale?
- The Honest to Goodness Truth on Rabbit Pen
- Rabbit Supplies Explained
- Who Is Misleading Us About Large Rabbit Hutch?
- The Battle Over Outdoor Rabbit Hutch and How to Win It
- The War Against Rabbit House
- New Step by Step Roadmap for Rabbit Hutch Plans
- Who Else Wants to Learn About Bunny Hutch?
- Know What an Old Pro is Saying About Rabbit Run
- The Ultimate Indoor Rabbit Hutch Trick
- Mythical Solutions to Cheap Rabbit Hutches Disclosed
- What You Must Know About Bunny Cages
- Where to Find Indoor Rabbit Cage
- Buying Rabbit Hutch for Sale
- Brief Article Teaches You the Ins and Outs of Rabbit Cages and What You Should Do Today
- Here’s What I Know About Rabbit Hutch